Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Girl Meets World 3.1 & 3.2 Girl Meets High School Parts 1 & 2

Season 3 Episode 1
Girl Meets High School Part One


  • I really like the new intro! I’m as happy with it as Maya is being in it.
  • I am glad they kept the same song, but secretly hope one day we get BMW remix where girl is substituted for boy. That would be awesome!


Initial Thoughts and Reactions:


  • This exactly how high school is, depressing, scary and different!
  • It’s like my high school experience. My grade school was a K-8 school so it was quite a culture shock when most of classes were with strangers, most bigger than me, and several I did not like.
  • Thor, Nikki and Francesca-seriously, who names their kid Thor? Is this an ode to Marvel because they are owned by Disney too?
  • The hole is just a staircase . . . so they really should have kept walking and the problem would have been solved.
  • Everyone is blaming Riley for everything? Why? She isn’t controlling them . . .
  • The best part of this fight, was later one when Lucas finally admitted that Riley was too much for him sometime.
  • Why is the triangle a joke now? It’s not okay and not normal. Make a decision and move on with life.
  • I have mixed feeling about Smackle joining the group:
    • Positive: Another girl in the group gives us a different dynamic than Riley, Maya and the guys
    • Negative: They stripped her of everything that made Smackle unique- her superiority complex, her social awkwardness and fidgeting at being touched or hugged. She’s like a female Farkle and it doesn’t work.
  • I believe the Topanga scene was a missed opportunity for at least Maya to stand up to the seniors: I imagine a scene that goes like this:
Thor: Actually, you’re following us, this is our place?
MAYA: Really? Is your mom named Topanga? No, guess what her’s is. That makes it our place!


  • The Farkle/Riley scene was my favorite. It hurts to see them fight (and he is unjustly blaming her) but it’s so sincere which is why it hurts even more when they fight? Is the first time they have been on opposite ends of the argument?
We are going to be together forever! We just don't know it yet!


***Extra Tidbits***
  • I really like Marley and love that she calls out Corey out on his teaching methods or the lack thereof. I hope to see more of her.


  • This may have been the best Auggie and Ava story yet. I don’t think we need to see anymore of them in part 2, but I just know they’ll probably be back to shenanigans soon.


IF I WROTE THE EPISODE


There isn’t much I’d change about this one. I felt the tone and storyline for the most part was right on. The only thing I would have done differently would be to ax the seniors and the stupid hole bit. I would focus more on them being in a new environment, having different classes and no longer being the smartest or tallest. The first day of high school is never really that fun and everyone is kind of shoved in their own direction. The seniors could still be included to show they aren’t as good as they think they were, but the hole was just too much for me, especially since they could have just kept walking down the stairs and away from the seniors. Uhg Thor.

*****
Season 3 Episode 2
Girl Meets High School Part 2

Initial Thoughts and Reactions:

  • I am so glad they changed the opening intro. I like it so much!
  • I am so happy that Riley’s first thought was a hope for Farkle and her last one was for Lucas to have a bad day.
    This is what it's like being in the triangle!
  • I like Lucas going out for the football team and Zay following, but in what world would Zay make it too? In fact he should not and that would make for a better story.
  • So, I watched twice and the second time around, noticed the Nikki and Francesca were with the Intellectual club- are they a part of it or just there?
  • Everyone should feel bad for blaming Riley that high school is awful because it is and it’s not her fault.
  • Major questions about this bay window scene: why would the seniors really visit them? And how did they know where they live? (Corey is a new teacher at the high school and would they have known Riley is his daughter to ask if they could come over)? This is all confusing. Oh, look, they really aren’t bad guys.
  • Enough with the triangle jokes. They aren’t funny and no Thor, you need to pick one!
  • Marley is really fun to have in class, but only because it’s Corey’s class and she will question his methods, which sometimes Corey needs. He isn’t only teaching Riley and her friends, but that is exactly what he does.
  • There were several good messages from this episode about high school: You’re going to get massacred, your friends are your safe place, stick together, etc.
  • The most important message was of course the Feeny message and I am glad they remembered it!
  • They’re starting a legacy (just like from season two when they left one).

***Extra Tidbits***
  • Auggie and Ava were cute, but the invisible dog was too much.
  • Ava is clearly the stronger actor.
  • Marley is super fun, but totally going to need help getting Corey’s desk.
  • This clearly a Disney channel show and clearly a Disney high school.
This is how I'll always remember Thor!

IF I WROTE THE SHOW
I said in part one I would ax the seniors all together and focus the change that high school really is. I am fine that everyone fought (even if it was so unjust- we had a bad day- it’s all your fault)! I still would have had the group make up, but have their separate interests/classes and come back together showing that they can still be friends and change. They aren’t the “kings” anymore but they will be just fine. It can never be the same, but a good kind of different. Sadly, they chose to go back to the same, when something should have been different.

*****NOTE*****
Moving forward, our episode reviews  will be in one single post- Shane Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment