Monday, August 29, 2016

Girl Meets World 3.12 Girl Meets Bear

  • On one hand I am super excited for this episode because we might get Zaya. On the other hand, it seems the entire premise of this episode is Riley’s lost, stuffed bear. You remember that one? The one with no face because Auggie bit it off and she never forgave him . . . yeah we’re going to get a healthy dose Auggie . . .
  • So, we open in Riley’s bedroom (with the bay window in the background) where we learn Maya (and apparently Corey) are excited about Taco’s because Paco’s Taco’s 25th Anniversary Special 25 cent taco today is the next day. Also, Maya can’t do fractions. Riley has her bear and when it is bed time, the two girls decide to sleep in the bay window (yes, the bay window and not the bed! Why? Because it’s the bay window, why not?! Everyone sleeps in the bay windows!) Also, Riley has the faceless bear, sets it at her feet when she goes to sleep by a closed window!
    This has to be the most uncomfortable sleep over ever!
  • The next morning, everyone is ready for Tacos (why are they going to for Taco’s at sunrise) and the bear is gone. So, Riley ropes everyone into putting the early morning Taco run on hold to search for her missing bear. Then her friends show up! They want taco’s too (though Zay does ask for pancakes) and I guess the Matthews are the only family in the city crazy enough to be making this run, but of course Riley ropes them into search too.
    Everyone's face when learning they'd be spending the day searching for a faceless bear!
  • Then, we’re treating to one of the worst scenes in GMW history- the flashback of little Auggie biting the bear’s face off while little Riley screams for what feels like forever. Oh, and little Maya was there too.
    She 's sooo upset!
  • No one really wants to look for the bear, but they do. (Also, Lucas is still not acting like Riley’s boyfriend).Riley remembers how her parents gave her the bear with Cloris Leachman was her babysitter (albeit in the next room). This one was much better than the face eating flashback, but still I am so over the younger versions. They worked for one episode and that was it!
    I guess Smackle doesn't like taco's . . .
  • Oh God, now that everyone is searching, Maya can see their younger versions. I hope she didn’t fall and hit her head while searching for that stupid bear.
    Riley ain't got time to relive the cookie eating episode!
  • While searching, Auggie finds Corey’s silver boxing gloves that Allen gave him back on BMW. The little things like this make this show so much better. Zay has his first moment with Maya and he so has feelings for her. Farkle and Topanga share moment, reflecting on the past and it was so awesome you guys. More of this please. Oh, and Lucas tells Riley some sort of stupid story.
    "I can't wait until you're my son in-law!" Topanga to Farkle
    Zaya!
  • Josh then shows up (because this episode couldn’t get any better) to do laundry and tell everyone not to give up on things that want to hold onto most. He wasn’t ready for college (maybe because he isn’t college age).
    No one is looking forward to the Auggie losing the silver boxing gloves episode . . . 
  • Everyone including Riley accepts the bear is just gone (seriously where did it go? I know the past versions took it, but did they literally show up and take it?) and Rucus got everyone tacos.
    New Triangle! (Don't worry there was or will be a triangle you guys)
  • The biggest and best moment of this episode was when Zay, brazenly in front of Josh, tells Maya “in order to not feel like a third wheel” he’d basically be happy to double date her with Riley and Lucus. Maya accepts, all ends happily and now we have the groundwork for Zaya planted! Success!
    That look when you realized you found your soulmate!


Extra Tidbits:


  • I was going to be so upset if this was another taped out sequence episode that should have happened before ski lodge, but it was not!
  • August Maturo’s younger brother, Ocean, played younger Auggie- which I guess worked well, but since I hope this is the last time we see the mini me’s, I don’t really care.
  • Zay is most realistic, down to Earth character on the show.


IF I WROTE THIS EPISODE
Instead of focusing on the past and the stupid lost bear, I’d make that a subplot and instead focus on Zay’s feelings for Maya. I still think he really likes her, which can be seen when he sat on the bucket or basket and tried to talk to her. I am so glad he sees how crazy and gross her “relationship” with Josh is. I’d have him trying to approach her more and maybe even Farkle figure it out first, so we’d have a nice Farkle and Zay scene (which we never ever get). Plus, I’d have Riley and Lucus acting more like a couple. Lucus would be happy to help his new found love search for her precious missing security object. They still wouldn’t find it, but Josh would show up, Zay would see how infatuated Maya is with him and that is when he works up the courage to ask her out. She would say yes at Josh’s pushing because there is just too much of an age gap between them and maybe Josh would bring back a girl he was interested in, instead of visiting to do laundry. Zay and Maya would have been the stars and Zaya would so be thing, if I wrote the show!


Girl Meets Teddy Bear

I am just not into these episodes lately. I hope I don't come across as too negative (lol) because I really do still like the show, but I don't like it right now. Sure, that's what I mean. I really don't know what it is. I know this is a Disney show and it's gonna be corny at times and a bit ridiculous, but lately? What is it? It's like there is a Brady Bunch or Leave it to Beaver quality to everything. Perfect parents and nearly perfect children. These people are in Rileytown 99% of the time. I guess it worked more for me when they were like 10, rather than teenagers. 

Stops in Rileytown were prohibited this episode according to Maya's instructions she went over with Riley the night before the most important day in their young lives. They would be spending the day at Paco's Tacos when the sun came up? How long does it take to consume 8 tacos and why were they starting at the crack of dawn? Questions unanswered, but we do know that everyone was really excited about it. Well, Corey and Maya especially.


So the girls go to sleep, not in the bed but in the window, already dressed for the next day so that they can be first in line for tacos. The sun goes down and then inevitably comes back up and Riley finds that her teddy bear, Barry, is gone. He just vanished. Like, seriously. If you wanna know where that thing went, just don't even ask because there is no logical explanation. 

Morotia M. Black made an appearance. Now that I'm really looking for her, she pops up often. 


And Maya appeared to be just as upset to see her as I was. 


Anyway, they somehow end up in the living room. The rest of the Matthews clan spills out of the hallway, led by Topanga and her stopwatch. It doesn't take them long to realize that something is off and the girls tell them that Barry is missing. Forget those plans for the day, guys, you are now going to spend the rest of your entire day searching for a teddy bear with no face that was jacked by some little girls from the past. 

Thing One


And Thing Two


That's mean, I know, but I don't like little Riley and little Maya. I just don't think they are very good at what they do. There. I said it. Or typed it. Anyway, they aren't cute and they annoy me. 

So they cancel their plans so that they can spend the day looking for the bear. Maya invites the boys over, I can't really remember why, and they all tear the apartment apart for Barry.


Once again Zay is the sense of the entire group, parents included. It's early in the morning and while all others are craving tacos, Mr. Babineaux's first line (I think) is "can I have pancakes." What a beautiful character. Once again, thank you Zay for being one of the only grounded characters. I appreciate you.

I also appreciate how upfront and real he was with Maya and Josh. "Now here's what I was thinking back here on earth" was such a good line. I like that he called out the ridiculousness of the Josh/Maya arrangement, and that he did it in front of everyone. Way to go, Zay. He doesn't play games and he is pretty candid. I think it's very "Angela" of him to be this way and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment