Monday, August 22, 2016

Girl Meets World 3.11 Girl Meets The Real World


  • Okay, so the preview is building this episode up as Riley has some kind secret that could destroy our core group! (Let’s be serious, we know whatever issue she has will be taken care of by the twenty minute mark). The episode is called Girl Meets The Real World and I really wish this would happen.
    Learning can happen outside the bay window!
  • We begin in the classroom, which is a welcome change from the bay window (have no fear, we’ll see it soon and probably like ten times), where Farkle schools Riley in a debate about if the sun shines during the day. When Riley doesn’t understand why she lost, because she debated what she believed, Corey makes them switch sides, and Farkle easily wins again. I must also point, Farkle’s use of big words are apparently turn on to Smackle. After arguing with her father, Corey decides to make the class about his daughter once again, and make her debate the people are naturally evil while everyone else argues they are good. Zay comments he loves Corey’s class, and I bet he does- everyone else but Riley and occasionally her friends probably coat by the lessons that are tailored towards her.
    Why must they always be on opposite sides?
    No one is less thrilled than Maya when the class becomes Riley 101!
  • Next the bay window scene! I was sooo worried we may not get one . . . anyway, Maya is showing Riley the real world news, which Riley has never ever, somehow gone all of her life without hearing about . . . Maybe she never uses Yahoo as a search engine or have an equivalent to facebook . . . I don’t know . . . Auggie walks in and they ignore him, as everyone should.
  • Auggie goes to Topanga because he overheard Riley and Maya reading about how the beach trashed and wants to clean it up. They make plan to do so.
  • So, while hanging out with her friends in Topanga’s, Riley announces she can no longer see the good in anything because she has discovered the real world. Zay comes in bragging about how his near death grandmother sends him cookies in the mail but only one at a time so he will appreciate them, so Riley, now evil, eats it, and everyone literally loses their crap.
    #ThatMomentWhen Farkle realizes Smackle likes Lucas more than him!
  • Riley refuses to apologize, believing she is evil now. Topanga tells a heartfelt story about helping starfish back into the ocean, and how saving one makes a difference. This spills over into the Riley vs everyone debate where Zay refuses to forgive Riley. Riley’s view on an evil world actually win her the debate, and then Corey makes her switch sides, and Riley learns her lesson, that people can choose to be good or evil. Riley apologizes and Zay forgives her. End!
    Farkle be like "one day that is going to be Riley and I!"


Extra Tidbits
  • You guys, I thought I’d never say this, but Smackle is turning into one of my favorite characters. She was the best part of this episode, from her antics in class, her in voice inside her head, to her WTF moment, which I only caught on a second viewing, she has been great this season! I want to see more!
    Smackle be like "WTF!" No literally that's what he stopped her from saying!
  • I also wouldn’t mind more Zay focus. It was nice that he and Riley had an issue that didn’t involve Lucas
  • Speaking of which, isn’t Rucus a thing? (After some research, this episode's production code put it being taped before Ski Lodge, so technically, Rucas was not a thing when this was shot- why do they air them out of order?).
  • While I did not mind this lesson, it was completely shoved down our throats every which way we turned. I enjoyed the good vs evil lesson, and wish we could have seen Angel Riley and Sassy Halter Top Riley.
  • Did we really need to see Two-Shoes Lou? No . . .
    Go away Two Shoes Lou!
  • This could have been such a more serious episode and still delivered the message that it did. I liked the conflict Riley and Zay, I just wish the show was a little more serial and things carried over from one episode to the next.


IF I WROTE THE EPISODE

This episode was what it was mainly because it’s shown out of production order (if there is ever a DVD release, I hope they are in the correct order). Instead, I want to use this space to discuss the preview for the next episode. It looks Zay-centric, which i really hope for, but what is even better is that it looks like we may be finally be getting Zaya. I would love if one of the couples I ship would actually happen (I ship Riarkle, Smackus, and Zaya). If Zay confesses that he likes her, this could get us away from the awful and creepy Joshaya (you know, where high school freshman Maya sort of dates college freshman Josh- ew). I read a theory that states Josh should actually be 17 and Maya 15, which would put both of them in high school, but not be as creepy. I really hope this is what Zay tells Maya. This could be such a great, drama filled episode if he does. I am excited and cannot wait for it! Check out the promo for yourself!


credit for video: youtube



Girl Meets Real World/Sassy Halter I'm not really interested in dragging this review out with my words, I have plenty of pictures, so let me just jump right in. I didn't really care for this episode. There wasn't even that much Auggie and it was too much. Riley's unicorn loving, rainbow seeking act is getting old. And when Riley isn't chasing rainbows on unicorns, she is channeling Morotia M. Black.




Remember her from Girl Meets Yearbook? It was no bother when I thought Morotia was going to stay trapped in that episode, but now that she has escaped and shows up in every other episode, it's too much Morotia. I noticed several eye rolls and or face twitches from Maya when Ms. Black came out...


I'm really glad I'm not the only one. Even if this wasn't a Maya heavy episode some of her reactions were my favorite parts.



Smackle was the other highlight for me. I really can't explain why I like flirty and silly Smackle so much but I really, really do. She was hard for me tolerate her character in the beginning, the one they jacked from a Big Bang Theory script, but she is amazing now.





She's losing her filter and it's very enjoyable. I think I can now say with confidence that I welcome more Smackle with open arms. I don't dread seeing her in scenes anymore. I can't say the same for a certain other character.



Seeing this little guy walk in with a grin stuck on his face saying "hi guys" is my nightmare. I think I'm kind of harsh on Auggie and Topanga in my own head, but their interactions and stories aren't my cup of tea. It's just not what I wanna see. And it's really just the same ol' thing most of the time. Auggie says something intentionally cute and Topanga gives us these faces:




STAAAAHHHHHHP! It's awful, so awful. I hate seeing it. I hate hearing Topanga talk to Auggie like he's two. I hate all of it so much. Honestly, Ava is my saving grace when it comes to Topanga/Auggie time. At least when she's there she brings some sass and I actually kind of like seeing Topanga respond to it. It amuses me. But there was no Ava this time. No, instead we had to watch Auggie try to combat pollution with the help of his mom. Auggie was super optimistic about his cause and was thrilled to report to the rest of the Matthews family that he had cleaned up a tiny section of the beach in one morning. Although Riley is usually as idealistic, she was not in this episode.

Riley was a pessimistic cookie stealer for the first time in her life. She ate Zay's grandma made cookie and looked at a few news articles and all of a sudden she was a different person. Evil Riley. And apparently eating a cookie that isn't yours is a gateway crime to other serious offenses such as eating popcorn and other junk foods for breakfast and skimping on Two Shoes Louie. This guy is saving up for some matching shoes so I suggest he trade in those Abercrombie distressed jeans so he can go get his matching shoes.





Maybe they aren't preppy Abercrombie pants, but that wasn't supposed to be the point, I just wandered off the path. The point is watch out Riley, because before you know it you'll be spray painting beautiful murals on the side of crappy buildings, making them look nicer, and getting hauled in by the cops for it. I shouldn't be making light of these situations, I'm just being a little punk, I should stop.

Back to the cookie.




Riley ate it.



Zay's grandma made it. Zay got mad.



The whole group got mad at Riley and attempted to force her to apologize in the bay window. No apology came from Riley. It didn't really matter because the debate was the next day and Riley won and also became optimistic Riley again and all is now right with the world.

Yaay!


Another one down. I'm genuinely excited for next week's episode. Less life lessons and more teen drama for me because I'm petty like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment